Today we are HONORED here at AT Magazine to be sitting here talking to a music phenomenon. If you’re a fan of Destiny’s Child and Beyoncé, then you must be a crazy fan of the Grammy Award winning, platinum group Xscape; and the voice of Miss LaTocha. As you all know the ladies of Xscape went in separate directions after the break-up of the group. Tiny and Kandi have been seen on reality television making sure their whereabouts are publicized; However, until now LaTocha has been behind the scenes working and conjuring up her comeback that her fans and industry has long awaited!
Miss LaTocha, thank you for carving out the time to talk with us today. It’s been a long time coming. How have you been?
- I’ve been good. Still working a lot but doing really good
Now I know there has been a lot of speculation about what happened to Xscape. This interview is not to discuss Escape because I really want to just focus on LaTocha, but is there anything you would like to address to the readers before we move on?
- My experiences with Xscape shaped me into the woman I am today. We went through a lot but I’m grateful for the experience. I wouldn’t change it for the world.
So the new mixtape is here and I checked out the single “Bad Timing” which just so happens to be on my favorite list [Laugh]. That track is HOT!!! Did you just know that “Bad Timing” was the RIGHT single to debut?
- Some songs just feel right. When it has a great message it hits home for me. I knew vocally and musically it was a great marriage.
What are some of the things that we can expect from this project?
- To me, it’s an emotional rollercoaster. Some highs, some dancing, some sing-a-longs but the fans will remember where they were when they hear it for the first time. It’s music with a purpose.
Who are some of the producers and artist that you collaborated with on this?
- I worked with a lot of new producers and writers. I remember being a new artists and having the creativity inside and wanting to let it out. Angelica Tucker and Josh Diaz co-wrote “Bad Timing” and Wale is featured on my new single “Complicated.” I’ve always wanted to give people an album that they love and that’s what this project is about.
I’m noticing that on a lot of your promotional material you have dropped “Scott” and are just running with “LaTocha”. How does the solo artist “LaTocha” differ from the group artist “LaTocha Scott”?
- Well, I’m a new woman. I’m more mature. I just want people to know me as LaTocha. I followed what Ludacris said. So many years I suffered from being the big girl and I wanted to free myself from that. It’s a new start.
With everything that you have gone through over the course of the years where do you see the most growth?
- My business sense. I’m apart of every process. From the photos to the music, I control the business ideas. I never had the opportunity to do that. In the group, we really weren’t into the business part. We didn’t know where the money was going. So my focus is the business. I was a student of the game for so long and now it’s time to step up to the plate and handle my business.
Was there ever a moment when you felt like you were letting down your fans by not putting out an album sooner?
-Yes. People would say they wanted new music. At first, I didn’t want to but I had to reevaluate things. That’s why I’m giving away my mixtape. Truth ‘N The Booth I’m putting out for my fans so they can enjoy music before the album comes out. I owe it to them.
Now I saw where you have your non-profit “Golden Gyrls”, lets talk about that. How did that come about?
- My sister’s daughters would come over and talk all night. And I noticed that a lot of them didn’t understand their worth. I want them to always focus on self-love and worth. And with me taking charge and wanting to make a difference in their lives, I formed a program that will benefit all girls who can relate. I wanted to help them with their self esteem. It’s a lot of mentorship and learning how to be the best you.
There are a lot of young ladies out here who are doing their thang in music, and yes I said “THANG” [laughs]. Who is the one female artist that you take your hat off to because she is doing her “THANG, and why?
- Alicia Keys – She’s an ambassador. She gives back. She loves people. She’s very passionate about what she’s doing.
I know you remember the “Ladies Night” that Lil Kim did in the nineties with the other entire female artist. Lets say there was a remake to that song with you on it, who would the other female artist feature?
- Nicki Minaji and Lil’ Kim, SWV, Xscape, Jill Scott, Jazmine Sullivan, Tha Brat, Keyshia Cole and Monica
How do you feel about the evolution of music right now?
- I’m glad to get back to music. Music is supposed to be relatable. It’s supposed to have substance. There are so many gimmicks. I’m happy that it’s coming back to real music. I’m not knocking anyone else. To me it’s about the real. I’m happy about Usher coming back and doing his thing. I miss the Boyz II Men. Everyone is afraid to buy an entire album because they don’t know what they’re going to get.
Earlier in the year we lost the GREAT Whitney Houston and not too long ago we lost Donna Summer. These were both legendary women who paved the way for yourself so that you could pave the way for the ladies who came after you. How did you react to the news?
- Losing Whitney was devastating. At first I didn’t believe it. I was in denial. When I saw it was real, it saddens me. It brought me back to the times that we had conversations. She’s an amazing spirit and her legacy will forever live on in my heart.
If I were listening to your ipod what are artists would I happen to hear?
- Mary Mary, R. Kelly, Adele, Rod Steward and def Xscape
So here at AT Magazine we like to have our spot on games. Lets say you are stranded on an island and you get to pick one out of the two items or people to be stranded with. Pick which one you wouldn’t mind being stranded with. [Laugh]
Bar of Soap OR a Tube of Toothpaste
Michelle Obama OR Oprah Winfrey
Bentley OR Benz
Fantasy Man OR Best Friend
MacBook OR Cell Phone
Beyoncé OR Kelly Rowland
Tyler Perry OR Madea
Clothes OR Sleeping Cover
Barack OR Martin Luther King
Hope OR Faith
Well LaTocha it has been awesome to speak with you. I can’t wait to hear more from you and I will definitely be hitting iTunes for the single and the album. Go ahead and let everyone know about any tours, album release date, and also where they can find you cause I know you are on twitter.
- @IAmLaTocha | T.N.T.B | Album dropping at the top of the year 2013 and tour starts in August
- Last Words: To those who want to become professional singers. Stay committed to their passion. What ever it is and never let up!
Thank you again and you are now apart of our AT family here. We will keep you in our prayers and follow your every move. God Bless you and we love you!
Subscribe to Alwayz Therro magazine for exclusive interviews and photos you won’t find on this blog. Subscribe and read the magazine on your iPad, iPhone, Kindle, PC, and Android.